Caring for Retainers
With proper care, retainers should last for years. Brush your retainers thoroughly once a day with a toothbrush and toothpaste, using warm water to remove plaque and bad odors from the retainers. Soak your retainers in denture cleaners such as Polident or Efferdent as needed to clean and disinfect them.
- Do not clean your retainer in boiling water, the dishwasher, or the microwave.
- Do not soak your retainer in mouthwash.
- Do not put it in your pocket – it can crack.
- Keep the retainers out of reach of pets, especially dogs. Dogs love to chew on retainers.
- Do not wrap in tissue. Retainers are most frequently lost when patients wrap them in tissue during meals and mistakenly throw them out with the trash.
Remember to always put your retainer in it’s case when it is not in your mouth!
If you should lose or break your retainer, please contact our office as soon as possible. We will schedule an appointment to have a replacement retainer made for a fee.